MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Mich. Attorney General working to halt state recount

Election Recount (Picture from MGN)

DETROIT, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Michigan's Attorney General is taking action at the state and federal level to halt Michigan's recount.

Oakland and Ingham Counties began hand recounting ballots on Monday. On Tuesday, several more counties began the recounting process.

In a petition filed last week, Jill Stein argues she was an aggrieved candidate on the account of fraud or mistake regarding Michigan's voting system.

Bill Schuette argues that Stein was not an aggrieved candidate.

At 4:00p.m. on Tuesday, the Michigan Court of Appeals will hear Schuette's request to stop the presidential recount in Michigan.

During a press conference in Detroit, Schuette said Stein has no chance of winning the recount and that recounting 4.8 million Michigan votes will cost taxpayers $5-6 million.

Also tonight, Schuette filed a motion to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati to join a federal lawsuit to show why "Michigan law must prevail."

He said that a federal judge on Sunday should not have given the green light on the recount on Sunday in what he called a "stealth" meeting.

Schuette said it should be up to Michigan's court system to decide if a recount should have continued.

Stein's team says Schuette's legal action is a partisan move.

Stein is still pressing for a full hand recount of Michigan's ballots even though she has not provided evidence of hacks in Michigan's voting system.

The Secretary of State's office released a schedule to count every ballot by December 12, 2016.

Trending

LOADING