Make mom her gift this Mother's Day
Mother's day is around the corner.
If your're stumped on what to get mom, Grace Derocha a registered dietitian and certified health coach at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has you covered.
Derocha says the best thing you can do for mom is cook!
Below find some of her easy recipes that even the kids can handle.
High Protein French Toast Casserole with Blueberries
• 8 sprouted bread slices like Ezekiel, cut into large cubes
• 6 eggs
• 1 cup egg whites
• 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
• 2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder (optional)
• 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 Tbsp almond extract
• ¼ cup honey
• 1 Tbsp cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
• 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
• Cooking spray
1. Spray 9x13 or 8x11 pan with cooking spray. Place cubed bread in pan.
2. Mix eggs, egg whites, milk, protein powder, extracts, honey and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
3. Pour liquid mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or prep the night before and let it sit overnight. Make sure that all bread is covered by liquid mixture.
4. When ready to bake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Before placing in oven mix in blueberries.
6. Mix pecans and brown sugar together and top French toast casserole before baking. Bake for about 45 minutes or until there is no longer any liquid.
7. Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tawook
• 1 tablespoon allspice
• 2 teaspoons oregano
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 cup plain, Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
• 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
• 1-2 tablespoons of heart healthy oil, olive or grapeseed
• Whole wheat pita pockets
• Serve with thinly sliced red onion, fresh parsley, diced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, plain greek yogurt, hummus and kalamata olives
• Brown rice or quinoa
• Mixed greens
1. Place the yogurt and lemon juice in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Add the allspice, oregano, salt, garlic powder, cinnamon, and cayenne and stir to combine.
2. Add the chicken breasts and gently turn to coat in the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Coat the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or use slow cooker bag. Add the chicken and all of the yogurt marinade and oil.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
5. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl (discard the cooking liquid). Shred the chicken with two forks.
6. Serve the chicken tawook with brown rice/quinoa, or on top of a salad or in warmed pita bread with desired toppings.
Mediterranean Quinoa Egg Bake
• Cooking spray
• ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained well
• 5 eggs
• 6 egg whites (or you can use 8-10 eggs total)
• 1 ½ cups of milk of your choice
• 1 Tbsp minced garlic
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp peper
• 1 tsp chopped chives
• 1 tsp chopped basil
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 ½ cups kale or spinach, roughly chopped
• 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced
• 1 cup low fat feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use cooking spray to coat 9x9 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, chives and quinoa. Then stir in spinach, tomatoes and feta.
3. Pour entire mixture in prepared dish.
4. Cover tightly with foil and gently shake so that the quinoa settles to the bottom of the pan evenly. Once cooked the quinoa will almost be like a crust.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes until set.
6. Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or boneless, skinless chicken thighs or a mixture
• 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped
• 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
• ½ cup of shredded carrots (about 1 medium carrot)
• ½ cup frozen edamame beans
• 4 ounces of sliced water chestnuts, finely chopped
• 8 ounces of reduced sodium chicken broth
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground ginger
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 cup of brown rice or quinoa or mix, already cooked
• ½ cup hoisin sauce
• 3 green onions, thinly slices
• 12 leaves of butterhead or iceberg lettuce
• Asian chili sauce – optional
1. Add chicken, bell pepper, yellow onion, carrots, edamame, water chestnuts, chicken broth, garlic, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, ginger, salt and pepper into slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-2.5 hours.
3. Strain the mixture and shred the chicken. Stir in rice/quinoa, hoisin sauce and green onions.
4. Serve warm with lettuce wraps and Asian chili sauce. Enjoy!