MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Clio Fire Dept. warns of carbon monoxide concerns

Frigid winter temperatures are leading to carbon monoxide concerns.

Now fire departments want to raise awareness to keep people safe.

The fire chief here at the Clio Fire Department says it's important to make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector.

And checking it at least once a year can save your life from carbon monoxide poisoning.

During bitter winter months, you'll see smoke coming out of chimneys, a sign of staying warm. But the cold also brings up worries of carbon monoxide.

“It's a silent killer you'll never know it you'll just think you'll start feeling sick getting the flu,” said Chief Paulson.

The Fire Chief of the Clio Fire Department says your home can fill with carbon monoxide if your furnace gets plugged.

“There's a pipe on the newer furnaces outside your home you want to make sure that's clear of snow because that lets the carbon monoxide out of your home the older ones go up the chimney,” he said.

Chief Paulson warns to watch out for headaches, dizziness and nausea, all signs you could have a carbon monoxide problem. Chief Paulson's biggest piece of advice is never run a generator inside even if you have a heating problem.

“Never bring a generator into your home garage or your basement. Keep it a safe distance because the wind can blow the carbon monoxide right back in. Never run any gas-powered piece of equipment inside your home,” Chief Paulson said.

The chief says normally you want someone to check out your furnace before these cold temperatures hit, but it's better late than never. If you think you have a problem, you can also call your local fire department.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending