Tasty, healthy 4th of July treats
The Fourth of July holiday week is here.
Chances are either you are cooking out, or you've been invited to a barbeque or picnic.
Grace Derocha, RDN of Blue Cross Blue Shield has a couple of healthy dessert ideas that will make you a hit at any party.
Here are the recipies:
Fourth of July – Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Bites
• 1 (8 oz.) package low-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2 Tbsp. Amaretto (optional)
• 12 large strawberries
• 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
• 50-70 blueberries
1. In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, sugar, and Amaretto (or vanilla or almond extract) until well combined.
2. Spoon filling into a small Ziploc bag, seal bag, and cut off one corner of bag. Pipe filling on top of each strawberry half.
3. Sprinkle almonds (or graham cracker/cookie crumbs) on top of filling. Top each strawberry half with 3 small blueberries. Store in refrigerator.
Fourth of July – Red, White and Blueberry Frozen Pops
• Coconut Water
• 1 container cherries
• 1 container blueberries
1. Drop berries into frozen pop molds.
2. Pour the coconut water mixture over the berries to fill the mold. Insert wooden sticks.
3. Cover and place in freezer for a few hours
4. To remove, let mold sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes or briefly run the sides under warm water
5. Serve and enjoy