MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Healthy Home: Oh Christmas Tree

(MGN Online)

This Healthy Home report is sponsored by Holland Heating and Cooling.

I like having a live tree in my house, but I’ve often felt like the trees played havoc with my allergies, so I’ve stayed away from them. Well, I found out that’s not necessarily the case.

Most doctors agree, It’s not actually the trees that are the source of an allergy attack, It’s mold that grows when you water the tree.

There’s also something else that could be causing those allergies. Christmas decorations that have been stored all year in a damp basement are prime for molds, dust mites and other allergens.

Once you start unpacking those boxes, you’ll stir up all sorts of things, getting dust and allergens on your hands and in your respiratory system. Since it takes a while for those allergens to kick in and cause symptoms, most people assume it’s the tree, and not the decorations that are the source of the attack.

So here are a few suggestions to keep you from having a “blue” Christmas with a “red” nose;

• Use Uncle Balsam’s special tree watering solution to help prevent mold from growing in the tree stand.

• Keep ornaments and decorations stored in dry areas, off the floor, in plastic bags. This will help reduce mold and dust that can accumulate.

• Wash your hands after unpacking decorations.

And if you’re still concerned about allergy systems,

• Allow others to trim the tree while you stay clear

If you’re still not convinced, well, an artificial trees can be a good alternative to a real one, depending on storage. Just remember to keep it sealed in a plastic bag in an area free of dust and moisture or you may wind up in the same boat.

Trending

LOADING