Healthy Home: Another Deadly Gas
This Healthy Home report is sponsored by Holland Heating and Cooling.
Radon is an invisible and odorless radioactive gas which occurs naturally from decaying uranium underneath the earth’s surface. Though you cannot see, smell, or taste radon, it is there and has been noted as the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
Radon gas rises through the soil and seeps through cracks, holes, and drain pipes in the foundation or basement of your home and office. Radon gas can be found all over the United States and according to the EPA, 1 out of every 15 homes in the United States has high levels of radon gas.
Symptoms of Radon Gas poisoning are not as immediately apparent. Other odorless poisons like carbon monoxide are more immediate whereas radon is a longer term poison. That’s why it’s important to have your homes tested 1-2 times per year as radon levels can vary from season to season.
You can get a Radon test kit at your local Health Department. Homeowners can perform the test themselves and then you simply mail in the samples to receive the results.
Correcting high Radon levels is actually very simple and can be done by your heating and cooling contractor, but finding the problem in time is the hard part.
For more healthy home tips and videos, tune in next time. Working to keep your home healthy and safe, I’m Jeff Lee